Harbour Island Force Main Replacement Design-Build Project
2021 4th Quarter Update
(October – December 2021)
- Completed Secant Piling for Microtunnel launch and receiving shafts.
- Completed excavation of Microtunnel launch shaft.
- Installed section of Forcemain piping from Morgan St into Cotanchobee Park.
- Preparation for installation of Microtunnel boring machine at launch shaft.
- Completed two 605 Ft. Microtunnels under Port Tampa Bay entrance, including installation of carrier piping.
- Completed Forcemain and Reclaim piping through Port Tampa Bay, up to entrance.
2022 1st Quarter updates
- Completed excavation, micropiling, and tremie slab for the microtunnel receiving shaft.
- Completed micropiling and tremie slab for the microtunnel launch shaft.
- Completed receiving and staging of launch shaft equipment for the microtunnels.
- Awaiting delivery of microtunnel boring machine.
- Completed force main and reclaim connections for the dual microtunnels at the port entrance.
- Completed over 1100ft of pipe for force main and reclaim systems from the port entrance to Oceanview Place.
- Completed and tested reclaim system.
- Completed pressure testing for over 8400ft of force main.
2022 2nd Quarter Update
(April – June 2022)
- Installed safety barriers and handrails around both Launch & Receiving Shafts
- Performing grout injections @ Launch shaft
- Form and pour levelling slab @ Launch Shaft
- Form & pour runway for tunnel launch @ Launch Shaft
- Form & pour thrust wall and entry seal headwall @ Launch Shaft
- Install slurry, bentonite, dewatering and vent lines @ Launch shaft
- Installed safety access ladder in Launch Shaft
- Setup jacking frame & miscellaneous equipment @ Launch Shaft
- Continue MT casing procurement
- Expanded laydown yard @ Launch Shaft
- Performed mock retrieval with local Tampa Fire & Rescue @ Launch Shaft
- Received & initiated setup of slurry separation plant
- Received bentonite mixing / lubrication plant
- Cleanup shaft internal periphery at Receiving Shaft
- Final inspection of Receiving Shaft
- Completed 803 Lft Forcemain system from west side of Oceanview Jack & Bore to King Rd
- Installed additional monitoring wells and compiling additional geotech data @ Oceanview jack & bore
- Awaiting re-issue of jack & bore permit at Oceanview RR crossing
- Restoration of Forcemain & Reclaim System construction easement and surrounding areas of Glover property
2022 3rd Quarter Updates
- Launch shaft construction completed, made ready for tunneling equipment install
- Launch shaft thrust block and entry seal cured and ready for next phase
- Survey / navigation controls transferred into launch shaft
- Bentonite lube station setup and tested
- MTBM control cabin and navigation guidance modules, setup / testing completed
- Mobilized 160 Ton RT and setup MTBM head section
- Installation of entry seal completed; ready to proceed with mining operation
- Completed pre-mining test runs of MTBM modules
- MTBM five (5) modules / train setup completed in shaft
- Begin microtunneling and casing installation
- Prep worksite for / and restored after Hurricane Ian
- Receiving shaft final inspection findings – remedial work addressed
- Continuation of Oceanview Jack & Bore permit re-issue
- Reclaim water main faulty BF Valve replacement – Began final system pressure test
2022 4th Quarter Updates
- All leaks in receiving shaft fixed
- Receiving shaft construction complete
- Installed ventilation system, dewatering system, and access ladder system in the receiving shaft
- Receiving shaft exit seal modification in progress for MTBM recovery
- MTBM has progressed over halfway across the Ybor Turning Basin with 111 (20ft) Tri-Loc casing pipe joints being installed through 4th quarter
- 5 Intermediate Jacking Stations have been installed out of 6 planned IJS on tunnel drive
- Regular tunnel surveys are performed frequently to confirm accurate advancement of the tunnel
- MTBM advancement rates range from less than 1 foot to almost ten feet per hour and have averaged about 25ft per working day thus far
- Received over 80% of total steel casing for MT installation
- Over 160ft Jack and Bore completed at the end of Oceanview Pl
- Appx 370ft of 54” pipe laid down the length of Oceanview Pl
2023 1st Quarter Updates
- All construction work on shafts has been completed including installation of exit seal within receiving shaft in preparation for MTBM recovery
- All materials required for construction of microtunnel are on-site
- Regular tunnel surveys conducted show the tunnel has been mined to within approximately 2 inches of target line and grade for the entire tunnel alignment
- Microtunnel has been constructed a total distance of 3005ft totaling 150 total pipe joints including 5 intermediate jacking stations
- MTBM breaks through exit seal in receiving shaft 4/21/23